Every Editor of nearly all Australian and International news outlets of all types should now be saying:
We have allowed a group of partisan left wingers to accumulate in our commentary team and as a result we misjudged the U.S. election as a group.
We have continued to pretend that the minor follies of Trump are not greatly outweighed by the obvious criminality of Hilary Clinton, and that past presidents such as Bill Clinton, Nixon and Kennedy did not have far greater flaws.
We have also continued to pretend that Trump’s more exaggerated statements on foreign policy issues are considered policies; rather than exaggerated initial statements in a bargaining session.
We have ignored the substantive differences between the policies of the candidates.
- Trump wants to limit and control immigration. Hilary Clinton does not.
- Trump wants less public service and Hilary wants more.
- Trump wants lower taxes, Hilary wants more.
- Trump wants less adventuring in the middle east, Hilary has destabilised most of the middle east.
- Trump wants to stop wasting money on global warming, Hilary wants to waste more money on pointless efforts to restrict carbon dioxide.
- Trump wants to increase US military strength, Hilary, as part of the Obama team has reduced it.
It was apparent from polls that the US people agreed more with Trump than with Hilary, but my commentary team failed to treat this serious policy contest as anything other than a popularity contest.
We judged it as though it was a reality TV show rather than a serious contest of aims and ideas.
As a result we were wrong in our predictions and we are continuing to be wrong in our analysis.
We accept that we failed in our primary duty of conveying basic true information.
We allowed our bias to distort the information we conveyed and we accept that we are not fit to do the jobs we have.